Saturday, May 21, 2011

Adult Swim

When I was a little girl, I attended a swim club near my home where my mother worked.  It was part of a community club so there was all kinds of good memories from here.  My Dad teaching me how to swim without water wings, jumping off the diving board for the first time and pizza from their kitchen!  The only down draw to this particular club was that, every hour or so, they would make every kid get out of the pool so the "Adults" could "Swim".  It was called the "Adult Swim" and it was the meanest thing you could do to a kid on a hot, summer day when they've been swimming and then forced to shiver under their towels for a half hour as the Adult just stand in the water.  No, no NO Adult actually SWAM during this time.  My father would go in and I would sit on the side of the pool with my feet in the water.  He would do tricks and splash me and find ways to help me pass the time.  But this I just couldn't understand as a child.  I suppose now as an Adult myself, I would appreciate the opportunity to swim without the kids splashing, kicking and just being kids in the pool but I still kinda don't agree with it. 

There was one horribly hot day when I remember the Adult Swim was called and all the kids got out. I sat on the side, as usual, and in went Dad.  It seemed like FOREVER as I waited for them to blow the whistle to tell us we could go back in.  I remember playing with my Dad with my feet and I heard "the whistle".  Up I stood and in I jumped!  but when I came up and saw all the other kids jumping in too, the Adults were going FRANTIC trying to get out. Apparently, the whistle was NOT for us to go back in but to stop someone from doing something wrong.  I'm sorry, I'm a kid, I have NO track of time but it had only been 15 minuets into the Adult Swim and I had just single handily brought it to a premature end.  My Dad was laughing and embarrassed at the same time as I came up for air and he whispered to me "way to go, Lisa.  You got all these old girls swimming for their lives". 
I was the hero for the day after that! The most popular kid at the pool as all the kids were SO THANKFUL I put a stop to the ridiculous "Adult Swim", at least for the time being.  I didn't get into any trouble from the club managers. Seriously, it was a funny situation and an honest mistake by a jumpy kid. 

From that point forward, I always went back to my chair and laid out in the sun until the Adult Swim was over and left it up to someone else to jump in before it was over.  It was good to be leader for a day and totally embarrassing at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment